It’s unfortunate, but many passengers often hesitate to call a lawyer after a cruise ship accident, even when their injury is painful and occurred through not fault of their own (and when they’re facing mounting bills and ongoing medical care).
Why Would They Not Reach Out?
There are a few reasons why passengers don’t call a lawyer (at least not initially):
- They are more focused on getting medical treatment (as well they should) and just haven’t gotten around to calling
- Life is busy – between family, work and medical treatment, seeking help from a lawyer might be far down on the list of “to-do’s”
- They may try to work with the cruise line directly before they realize how difficult that is
- They may not know that a lawyer could help
- They’re confused about the legal process – what they should do, etc.
- They don’t know how to go about contacting the right lawyer for their case
- They didn’t even know they might have a reason for an injury claim!
There are many other reasons of course.
However, if you were injured on a cruise ship and are dealing with a severe injury, you should consider contacting an attorney – especially if you believe that the accident was not your fault and someone else was responsible.
NOTE: It’s important to know that most cruise lines require that injury claims be filed against them within six months to a year. Waiting too long to file a claim or contact an attorney could impact your ability to seek legal action.
A Cruise Lawyer Representing You Can Help Tremendously
A lawyer who is used to working against the cruise lines on behalf of injured victims can make the process of filing a claim easier – and will often be much more successful in getting the results that are needed – like compensation to pay for medical bills, doctor visits, therapy, missed time at work and more.
At Waks and Barnett, P.A., we’ve been helping injured cruise ship passengers for more than 25 years. We’ve seen just about every type of physical injury – as well as sexual assaults, severe sickness, near-drownings and death.
We’ve been able to help passengers get compensation for their injuries to help cover the costs of medical care and lost wages from missed time at work.
If you believe you have a claim against a cruise line – like Carnival Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Disney Cruises, Celebrity Cruise and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines – or even if you’re unsure about your options – you should speak with cruise ship injury lawyers who have years of experience representing passengers and crewmembers.
Call Waks and Barnett, P.A. at 1-800-905-2891 for a free consultation. We can help with the frustration and confusion you and your family may be experiencing.